Boat insurance isn’t legally required in Florida, but that doesn’t make it ok for Florida boaters to skip coverage. If it would be painful to replace your boat out-of-pocket, you should probably insure it. Homeowners insurance probably doesn’t cover your boat or the resulting medical bills if anyone is injured.
What Does Boat Insurance Cover?
Depending on your policy, boat insurance is likely to cover:
- Damage caused by a collision that is your fault or the fault of an uninsured boater
- Bodily harm or property damage that you cause to another boater or watercraft
- Damaged or stolen equipment kept on your boat
- Towing of a disabled watercraft
- Damage that occurs in the water, in storage or in transit
How Should I Store My Boat?
Indoor storage is always best, but it’s also the most expensive boat storage option. It helps protect your watercraft against theft, vandalism and storms. Keeping everything in a temperature-controlled environment is better for the boat mechanics, as well.
Dry, racked storage is an option, but you may have limited access to your boat over winter.
If you store your boat outdoors, make sure to cover and shrink-wrap it.
Things To Do Before Storing Your Boat for Winter
- Take your boat out for one last ride and pay careful attention to its performance. Fix any maintenance issues that you notice. Small problems can become big problems when they’re left to sit all winter.
- Clean your boat thoroughly. Dirt and debris left to fester for moths can damage paint, and sand or gunk can cause cracks.
- Wax your boat, to protect it from dirt that may settle over the months of storage.
- Change the oil and antifreeze and loosen or remove your boat’s drive belts, to keep them from weakening due to temperature changes.
- Remove batteries and place them on trickle chargers.
- Put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and open all drain plugs to prevent flooding.
- Fill your trailer tires to prevent flats.
Want To Make Sure Your Boat Is Covered?
Our local Florida Farm Bureau insurance agents can help you with boat coverage that suits your needs. Find an agent to get started.